I was lucky enough to be a part of the FaceOn Magazine Issue 5 Winter edition cover shoot a couple of years ago, for which I was asked to create a chilling frozen Ice Queen look for the front cover and a 'how to' guide within the magazine itself.
- Smashbox Photo finish foundation primer
- Kryolan ultrafoundation in 'TV White'
- Kryolan Aquacolor in 'Silver blue'
- Kryolan Aquacolor in 'White'
- Kryolan Aquacolor in 'Blue'
- MAC pigment in 'Frost'
- Benefit eye shadow in 'Like what you sea?'
- Ice FX fake ice crystals
- Duo false eyelash glue
- Assorted flat back Swarovski crystals
- White hairspray
How to guide:
1. To get your face ready for the application of make up; cleanse, tone, moisturise lightly and apply the primer to your face and neck.
2. Apply your very pale Kryolan Ultrafoundation in ‘TV White’ to the skin, covering face, ears, neck, shoulders, arms and hands. As this product is a crème foundation, make sure that the application is light. For best results, use the MAC 187 duo fibre brush and apply the foundation to the face in small circular motions.
3. Wet your brush with a little water, and dip lightly into your MAC pigment in 'Frost'. Apply liberally around the eye area, up to the brow bone, and then down to hide any shadows under the eyes. Blend well into the foundation with a dry fluff brush.
4. Next take your Kryolan Aquacolor in 'white'. Wet your brush again and swirl your brush into the Aquacolor until you have a white paste on your brush.
Apply this over your eyebrows, and over your eyelashes. Let the product dry and reapply in order to get a strong colour. Still using the white Aquacolor, use another brush to line your waterline, underneath the bottom lashes and over the top lashes, to make the eyes stand out further.
5. After this, take your Aquacolor in 'silver blue', then wet and swirl your brush in the product as you did for the white. Take some of the silver blue on your brush and contour underneath the cheekbones. Blend it out with a dry brush.
With what is left of the product on your brush, shade ever so slightly around the hairline to make the make up look more three dimensional.
6. Use your Benefit eye shadow in 'Like what you sea?' to apply to the socket area of the eye and blend out. Take the eye shadow down and halfway underneath the eye, to create a 'v' shape around the corner of the eye.
7. Take your Aquacolor in 'silver blue' again and apply to the lips and then lightly over your eyebrows, so that they are not completely lost.
8. At this stage, you can start to apply the Ice FX crystals. Get your Duo glue, and apply to the areas where you want your crystals to be. Leave it for a minute so it will become slightly tacky, and then apply a mixture of small, medium and large crystals on top of the glue.
9. After you have finished putting the ice crystals on, you can start to apply the Swarovski. For this, use your Duo glue again and stick the crystals in a random fashion onto the face, ears, neck or wherever you wish.
10. Finish off your look by applying white and blue Aquacolor to the hands - keeping the blue for around the nails; and carefully spraying white hairspray into your hair to add to the frozen appearance.
Photography by Dave Piper,
Make up and hair by me, Liv Free Make up & Hair Artist,
Styling by Krishan Parmer,
Dress by Joe Challita